Photograph of ET Leeds
Archives and Artefacts
Photograph of ET Leeds beside a trench
Exploring the Past through the Work of E.T. Leeds and A2A
|
|
|
|
|
|

ANGLO-SAXON OXFORDSHIRE

AN ANGLO-SAXON CEMETERY AT BROUGHTON POGGS

Stone-quarriers found eleven skeletons with grave-goods on the summit of Kinching Knoll at Broughton Poggs sometime prior to 1856. In that year J.Y. Akerman excavated an additional female grave at the site.

Akerman continued to excavate on the site. In 1857 he found four more burials located just to the north of the original site. Then during 1864-67 Akerman returned to the site discovering more burials.

Click to see a larger image
Click to see a larger image
Record sheets with details of Akerman's finds in 1857 compiled by E.T. Leeds
(Click on the images to see a larger versions)

The finds from this site suggest it was in use from the late fifth to the late sixth centuries. Some of the finds are now held in the Ashmolean Museum.

View a few artefacts in the Ashmloean

REFERENCES:

A. MacGregor and E. Bolick (1993) Summary Catalogue of the Anglo-Saxon Collections (Non- Ferrous Metals), BAR British Series 230.

Copyright University of Oxford, Ashmolean Museum, 2005. Last updated:  About this Website
Oxfordshire County Council Logo
 
Heritage Lottery Fund Logo
A2A logo
Ashmolean Museum Icon