Photograph of ET Leeds
Archives and Artefacts
Photograph of ET Leeds beside a trench
Exploring the Past through the Work of E.T. Leeds and A2A



During the summer of 1947 volunteers from Birmingham, London and Oxford Universities, under the direction of Miss A MacKenzie, Miss N.K. Sandars and Mr R.J.C. Atkinson , excavated the site of Amey's Pit in Dorchester.

Alongside a group of Mesolithic and Bronze Age sites, they excavated nine burials around the periphery of a Middle Bronze Age round barrow. This type of burial is known as a secondary burial since the site was not originally Anglo-Saxon. The Anglo-Saxons have been known to reuse many earlier barrow sites as cemeteries.

Ring (AN1947.415)
Scarper (AN1947.417)
Copper alloy scaper from grave 2 (AN1947.417) and copper alloy finger ring (AN1947.415) from the Anglo-Saxon graves

Unfortunately most of the bodies from this site had entirely disappeared form the graves, but the finds from the site are now held by the Ashmolean Museum.


Oxoniensia, XI-XII, 1946-47, p164.

A. MacGregor and E. Bolick (1993) A Summary Catalogue of the Anglo-Saxon Collections (Non- Ferrous Metals), BAR British Series 230.

© Copyright University of Oxford, Ashmolean Museum, 2005. Last updated: 22-December-2005  About this Website
Oxfordshire County Council Logo
Heritage Lottery Fund Logo
A2A logo
Ashmolean Museum Icon