Tradescant Collection

 

  At start of list At start of list   Go to Next Object Go to End of List    
  The Catalogue: Portrait of John Tradescant the Elder  
Introduction
The Cabinet of
Curiosities
The John Tradescants
The Tradescant
Collection
Musaeum
Tradescantianum
The Tradescant
Room
Further Reading
Back to Catalogue
About this Resource
Click for larger version of this image
ARTIST:
Attributed to Cornelis de Neve (c.1609-78)
DIMENSIONS:
(Canvas) Height 79 cm, Width 62 cm; (Frame) Height 97 cm, Width 80 cm
DESCRIPTION:
Head and shoulders, half to the spectator's left against a dark greenish ground. Greyish hair brushed back to show his left ear; moustache and full beard. His brown eyes look at the spectator. He wears a black skull-cap and has a gold ring in his ear; a broad limp white collar falls over the shoulder of his black buttoned tunic. Inscribed in yellow to left of the head Sr John; to the right, Tradescant Sen. A trompe-l'œil surround of thick scrolled lead, through the upper volute of which is a ribbon hung on the left side with fruit (grapes, a pear, peaches, plums) and on the right side with vegetables (parsnips, turnips, onions). On the lower volute, four exotic shells, into the outer of which have been inserted tulips. Oil on canvas, relined in a black frame with gilt bevel and with applied gilt winged cherubs at the corners and leaf motifs at the centres.
COMMENTARY:
The portrait is evidently posthumous. The surround seems to have been based on cartouche designs of the type engraved about 1653-5. The still-life element, allusive to the sitter's horticultural and conchological interests, but not in any specific way, was possibly painted by another. No native still-life painter was up to the standard of this skillful piece, but Sir Ellis Waterhouse has suggested that Alexander Marshal should be considered. The type is simplified from Flemish compositions of the mid-century.
Museum Id. No:
1685 A no. 659: Pictura Dñi Johis Tradescanti senioris Cimeliarchæ egregii, in margine bullis aureis ornatâ
To Faculty of Modern History: Court Culture page

  © 2011 University of Oxford - Ashmolean Museum