The Parian Marble
|The Parian Marble: Where did it come from?|
|Page 7 of 7|
|The Parian Marble was brought at Smyrna on behalf of Thomas Howard, Earl of Arundel and brought to London in 1627. The top half was lost and is only known in a copy by Selden. The Oxford fragment (together with more than 130 other inscriptions) was presented to the University in 1667 by the collector Earl's grandson Lord Henry Howard, at the instigation of John Evelyn the diarist. It now covers the years 895-355 BC. A smaller fragment, covering the years 336-299, was found in Paros in 1897 and is in the museum there.|
The inscription was first published in J. Selden, Marmora Arundelliana London 1628-9) 1-21, 59-119. It was also included in R. Chandler, Marmora Oxoniensia (Oxford 1763) part 2, No. 59, and in Inscriptiones Graecae XII.5.444. The standard editions are those of F. Jacoby: Das Marmor Parium (1904) and Die Fragmente der griechischen Historiker 2B (1929) No. 239 (whence the text used here). The translation is by Gillian Newing.
|© Copyright University
of Oxford, Ashmolean Museum, 2001
The Ashmolean Museum retains the copyright of all materials
used here and in its Museum Web pages.
Last updated: 7-mar-2001