University Marshall's badge
Origin: Probably Oxford
Date: c. 1695
16.5 cm length; 12.4 cm width; 167 g weight
Deposited by order of the Vice-Chancellor, 1910; LI 1043.5
T. Schroder (2009), no. 315
The badge was worn on the left sleeve of the University Marshall's coat, whose office was also known as Bedel of the Beggars. This badge remained in use until it came to the Museum in 1910, when an exact replica was made in Birmingham, which is still worn on the Marshall's coat today.
Information derived from T. Schroder, British and Continental Gold and Silver in the Ashmolean (2009)