Browse the Silver Collection
584 of 620
11.5 cm height; 291 g weight
Marks/Maker: London, Britannia standard, 1707-8, maker's mark of Timothy Ley
Provenance: The Merchant Taylors' Company of Oxford; Captain J. H. Reynolds, sale, Christie's, 11 December 1912, lot 84, to Sutton.
Given by a body of subscribers, 1913; WA1999.39
T. Schroder (2009), no. 43
The engraved inscription reads: 'The guift of Thos. Pemberton. Gent. of the Cittie of Oxon. To the Maior, Bailiffes, and Comunaltie of the same Cittie, For the use of the Master and Wardens of the Company of Taylers there, 1707.' The first mention of members giving plate was in 1669 when 'Thomas Saunders tayler was admitted to the Company of Taylers for a fyne of £25 and the piece of plate to the value of £5', but the custom clearly originated earlier. The standard reference in these inscriptions to the mayor and bailiffs of Oxford was because the tailors had no hall of their own and kept their plate together with that of the city. Beer mugs of this kind were a stock in trade of native English silversmiths.
Information derived from T. Schroder, British and Continental Gold and Silver in the Ashmolean (2009)