Jewish marriage ring
Gold Jewish marriage ring, the circular hoop decorated with five rosettes between which are five quatrefoils of light blue enamel, studs between and on either side and a double-corded edging; engraved inside the hoop in Hebrew Mazal tov (Good luck)
21.18 mm internal ring diameter; 6.5 g weight
Bought in Frankfurt
Presented by Dr C.D.E. Fortnum in honour of Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee, 1897; WA1897.CDEF.F444
The distinctive Jewish wedding ring has been in use since the seventh and eighth centuries. Their origin, however, remains unknown. They were originally ascribed to Venice where there was a large population of Jews, but the enamelled gold filigree work is closer in style to that of Transylvanian goldsmiths. They were only used during the ceremony. The bridegroom placed it on the middle finger of the bride's right hand.
Taylor & Scarisbrick, Finger Rings from Ancient Egypt to the present day, 1978, no. 474