ashmolean

Finger Ring Collection

Browse Collection

432 of 436

First Ring

Previous Ring

Return to
Introduction

Return to
Gallery

Return to
All Online Collections

Next Ring

Last Ring

Click to hide image

Click to hide image

Signet ring

Italy

15th/16th century

Silver signet ring, the oval bezel with a shield of arms, a fess between a fish and a branch, pearled borderline, the shoulders engraved with leafage and moulding

19.15 mm internal ring diameter; 8.42 g weight

Bought in Rome, 1880

Presented by Dr C.D.E. Fortnum in honour of Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee, 1897; WA1897.CDEF.F761

Taylor & Scarisbrick, Finger Rings from Ancient Egypt to the present day, 1978, no. 304

Signet ring: The signet ring has been used to seal business and legal documents since Egyptian times. A variety of devices were employed to distinguish the owner of each seal. From the early 14th century, heraldic shields were in use in Italy, England and France for those entitled to them. In the 15th century a badge and motto was preferred. Merchants or craftsmen who did not bear a coat of arms would use a merchant’s mark (a symbol made up of lines based on the cross or the figure 4). These first appeared in the 14th century and were used in almost every country.Other personal devices included the rebus (a form of device made up of symbols that represent the owner’s name) and the owner’s initial, both very popular in the 15th and early 16th century.The signet ring fell out of use in the mid-seventeenth century when it became more fashionable to wear the seal mounted on a chain beside the watch.