Jewish marriage ring
Gold Jewish marriage ring, the gabled roof bezel with sixteen open filigree windows, a steep gabled roof engraved with tiles and four pinnacles, the hoop composed of three bands of chained wirework between cords
17.53 mm internal ring diameter; 10.1 g weight
Bought in Milan
Presented by Dr C.D.E. Fortnum in honour of Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee, 1897; WA1897.CDEF.F439
The distinctive Jewish wedding ring has been in use since the seventh and eighth centuries. Their origin, however, remains unknown. They were originally ascribed to Venice where there was a large population of Jews, but the enamelled gold filigree work is closer in style to that of Transylvanian goldsmiths. They were only used during the ceremony. The bridegroom placed it on the middle finger of the bride's right hand.
Taylor & Scarisbrick, Finger Rings from Ancient Egypt to the present day, 1978, no. 473