Browse the Finger Ring Collection
38 of 436
Jewish marriage ring
Gold Jewish marriage ring, the circular hoop decorated with five rosettes between which are five quatrefoils of light blue enamel, studs between on either side and a double corded edging
21 mm internal ring diameter; 8.2 g weight
Presented by Dr C.D.E. Fortnum in honour of Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee, 1897; WA1897.CDEF.F445
The distinctive Jewish wedding ring has been in use since the seventh and eighth centuries. Their origin, however, remains unknown. They were originally ascribed to Venice where there was a large population of Jews, but the enamelled gold filigree work is closer in style to that of Transylvanian goldsmiths. They were only used during the ceremony. The bridegroom placed it on the middle finger of the bride's right hand.
Taylor & Scarisbrick, Finger Rings from Ancient Egypt to the present day, 1978, no. 475