Browse the Timepieces Collection
38 of 324
Philippe Caffarello Dufalga (1711 - 1794)
Gold and enamel cased verge watch
Case - inside: punched with the casemaker's mark HF with a crown above
Movement: Dufalga, AGeneve, c. 1760
case; gold, enamel
case 44.8 mm diameter case 20.9 mm thickness movement 34.5 mm diameter pillar 5.4 mm height
Case: Gold case, chased around the band with foliate motifs. A border of curved volutes surrounds a large enamel panel on the back painted in colours depicting a young woman with a hurdy-gurdy player and his dancing dog which is dressed as a harlequin. Gold pendant. On the inside the case is punched with the casemaker's mark HF with a crown above. The bezel, with foliage in two-colour gold, hinges at the side. The movement is hinged at XII. Dial: A white enamel dial, pinned directly to the front plate, with a minute circle and hours 1-12. A winding hole between 3 and 4 o'clock. Brilliant-set silver hour and minute hands. Movement: Gilt-brass plates with four square baluster pillars. Gilt-brass barrel with ratchet set-up beneath the dial. Fusee with chain and standard stop-work. Four wheel train. Verge escapement with a key-adjusted potence and a counter-potence with a screwed-on steel coqueret. Polished steel three-arm balance with spiral balance spring. Geared regulator with a silver index disc inscribe 'Avance' and 'Retarde' with a lozenge pattern between. Pierced foliate balance bridge with a polished steel coqueret. The movement is signed: Dufalga AGeneve Philippe Caffarello Dufalga, a 'privileged' watchmaker of Geneva 1711 - 1794. Notes: 1. The dial of this watch is unlikely to be original. There are two holes in the front plate which were clearly used to attach an earlier dial or dial plate. The present dial uses the third original hole and two newly drilled holes. The hands, however are original. 2. A similar watch with its original en-suite châtelaine is in the Musée International d'Horlogerie, La Chaux-de-Fonds. See Collections du Musée International d'Horlogerie, La Chaux-de-Fonds, p.51.
Marquis of Ripon
Bequeathed by J. Francis Mallett, 1947.