ashmolean

Timepieces Collection

Browse Collection

311 of 324

First Timepiece

Previous Timepiece

Return to
Introduction

Return to
Gallery

Return to
All Online Collections

Next Timepiece

Last Timepiece

Click to hide image

George Philip Strigel (1718 - 1798) John Ward, possibly (active 1730) James Richards, possibly (active 1762)
Gold and enamel pair-cased cylinder watch

Dial: signed STRIGEL LONDON above and below the centre
Inner case - inside: casemaker's mark IW
Inner case - inside: London hallmark for 1770
Movement: Geo. Phil. Strigel BBFM, London
Outer case - inside: punched with the casemaker's , c. 1770

case; gold, enamel

outer case 49.2 mm diameter outer case 17.2 mm thickness inner case 41.4 mm diameter inner case 24.1 mm thickness movement 33.3 mm diameter pillar 6.7 mm height overall 24.65 mm thickness
outer case 49.2 mm diameter outer case 17.2 mm thickne

Outer case: Gold and enamel outer case the bezel and band decorated with blue flowers within a white border. On the back are two green palm fronds enamelled en basse taille which enclose a shield of arms and crest. On the inside the case is punched with the casemaker's mark IR in cameo. Inner case: Plain gold inner case with a rotating cover for the winding hole. Gold pendant. On the inside is a badly struck casemaker's mark IW and the London hallmark for 1770. Gold pendant, the bow with acanthus leaf decoration. Dial: A gilt-brass dial plate carries a white enamel dial with a minute circle around the outside numbered 5-60, hours I-XII and an inner circle. The dial is signed STRIGEL LONDON above and below the centre. Gold spade-pattern hour and minute hands, the minute hand now lacking its end. Movement: Gilt-brass plates with four square baluster pillars. Gilt-brass barrel with tangent screw set-up between the plates. Fusee with chain and standard stop-work, the block elaborately pierced. Four wheel train of gilt-brass wheels, the centre wheel solid, the third and fourth wheels with four crossings. Cylinder escapement with a brass wheel and steel cylinder. The screwed-on potence has a straight moulded foot. Steel three-arm balance with a spiral balance spring and Tompion regulator, the silver index disc engraved I-VI. The table and foot of the balance cock are both pierced and engraved with foliate scrolls. The movement is signed: Geo. Phil. Strigel BBFM London George Philip Strigel (1718 - 1798). Given Honorary Freedom in the Clockmakers' Company in 1781 had his business in Stafford Row, Pimlico and also at 10 Ranelagh Street, Lower Grosvenor Place, London. Watchmaker to Queen Charlotte. The case-makers are possibly John Ward of Boars Head Court, Fleet Street, London for the inner case and possibly James Richards of Red Lion Court, Silver Street, London for the outer case. Provenance: The Horne family (see note 2 below) Purchased by friends and colleagues with the aid of the MGC/V&A Purchase Grant Fund and the Friends of the Ashmolean, to mark the retirement of Gerald Taylor, Senior Assistant Keeper in the Department of Western Art in the Ashmolean Museum. Notes: 1. The letter code used by Strigel has not been deciphered. It could be a code for the date of the watch but given that the first two letters are the same it is more likely to be a coded serial number in the tradition of makers such as Langley Bradbury, Benjamin Gray and Justin Vulliamy who used coded numbers earlier in the century. 2. The armorial bearings are thought to be those of the Horne family. The shield of arms can be interpreted as - parted per pale, dexter quarterly 1st and 4th a chevron engrailed between three unicorn heads erased, 2nd and 3rd a chevron between three fleur-de-lis, sinister a lion rampant between three trefoils. The first and fourth quarters on the dexter side are likely to be - Argent a chevron engrailed between three unicorn heads erased azure. The arms of Edmund Horne of Saresden House Oxfordshire. The quartering and impaling of the arms suggests a descendent of the Horne family marrying an heiress entitled to bear the arms shown on the sinister side of the shield.

Purchased by friends and colleagues of Gerald Taylor, in celebration of his 42 year career in the Ashmolean, with the assistance of the Friends of Ashmolean, MGC/V&A Purchase grant Fund, 1991.

WA1991.346