Browse the Timepieces Collection
36 of 324
Gold and enamel cased verge watch
Inside inner case: is punched with the casemaker's mark MM with a coronet above and with the number 277 although the 2 is indistinct
Movement: F Lecrinier a joinville 1782, c. 1770
case, gold, enamel
case 47.05 mm diameter case 23.25 mm thickness movement 35.15 mm diameter pillar 6.35 mm height
Case: Gold case chased with a wavy pattern and enamelled en plein with a design of realistic flowers, a peony, roses, asters, tulips, carnation &c. in green, pink, red, blue and mauve. The bezel is enamelled with sprigs. Gold pendant. Marcasite thumb-push for opening the case. On the inside the case is punched with the casemaker's mark MM with a coronet above and with the number 277 although the 2 is indistinct. Dial: Pinned directly to the front plate is a white enamel dial with minutes 5-60 and hours I-XII around an inner circle. There is a winding hole at III o'clock. Pierced gold hands. Movement: Circular gilt-brass plates with four tapered pillars. The barrel has ratchet and click set-up under the dial. Fusee with chain and standard stop-work. Four wheel train of brass wheels, the centre and third wheels with three crossings, the contrate with four. Verge escapement with an adjustable potence and a counter potence let into a cut-out in the edge of the back plate. Steel three-arm balance with a spiral balance spring and geared regulator, the silver index disc inscribed Avance and Retarde around an un-numbered scale. The slide-plate is not gilded. Balance bridge pierced and engraved with C-scrolls and with a screwed-on polished steel coqueret. The movement is signed: F Lecrinier a joinville 1782 Notes: The name on this watch is not entirely clear. G.H. Baillie in Watchmakers and Clockmakers of the World, 1929, p.191 describes it as Lecciniez Frères but the information is derived from this particular watch. On the same page he also lists Lecrimier Frères also of Joinville, established by two watches in the Maurice Sternberger collection, although only one watch appears in the sale catalogue of the collection.
Bequeathed by J. Francis Mallett, 1947.