The most noble of ladies, Dorothy ...
Præclarissima Heroina DOROTHEA conjux generosissimi simul ac eruditissimi viri Domini Iacobi Long de Draycot Cern in Comit. Wilts Baronetti; Domus et sexus sui decus et ornamentum; primitivæ Religionis, et venerandæ antiquitatis cultrix optima: ex pietate sua, et summa in hanc Universitatem benevolentia, Pastorale pedum Sancti AUGUSTINI Hipponensis Episcopi ex ebore cælatum, inter Cimelia hujus Musæi reponendum dedit.
The most noble of ladies, Dorothy wife of that most generous and learned of men, Sir James Long, Bart., of Draycot Cerne in the county of Wiltshire, was the pride and joy of her family and her sex, and showed a deep interest in primitive religions and antiquities. Her piety and great good will to this University led her to give a carved ivory crozier which had belonged to Saint Augustine, Bishop of Hippo, to this museum to be placed with the other treasures.
Related Objects:AN1685 A.600
Location:On display in gallery 41 (England 400-1600)
Year:MDCLXXXIII (1683); Page Number: 6 (verso)
Click on image for 'zoomable' version