Dr Jim Harris, Andrew W Mellon Foundation Teaching Curator, is an art historian specialising in sculpture of the fourteenth to sixteenth centuries. He came to the Ashmolean from the Courtauld Institute of Art where he held the Andrew W Mellon Research Forum Postdoctoral Fellowship and was Caroline Villers Research Fellow in Conservation, teaching on late-medieval and Renaissance art and on the physical histories of sculpture. His doctoral work, supervised by Professor Patricia Rubin, was concerned with Donatello and polychromy and his research interests also encompass Genoese painting, memorial sculpture of the English Long Reformation, sculptural materials and techniques, traumatic events and the meaning and function of sculpture, and the relationship between theology, devotional practice and the making of objects.
Jim was Editor of immediations, the Courtauld Institute Journal of Postgraduate Research, and a member of the Sculptural Processes Study Group and the Material Life of Things project. He is a contributor to the Saturated Space Research Cluster at the Architectural Association School of Architecture and has published on Florentine Painting, Northern Polychrome Sculpture, Andre Beauneveu, German fifteenth century panel painting and on contemporary painting and drawing. He was for some years Associate Director of Man and Eve gallery for whom he curated and co-curated exhibitions of photography, sculpture and painting.
In 2011 and 2012 Jim organised a series of Courtauld Research Forum workshops under the heading Three Approaches to Three Dimensions: Reconfigured Spaces/Relocated Objects/Rewritten Narratives, followed by a conference Moving in Three Dimensions: Re-writing the Objects and Histories of Sculpture. These events were concerned with the impact of change and movement on the meaning, function, display and understanding of three-dimensional objects.
T: +44 (0)1865 288288