Painted by Edward Lear (1812 - 1888)
Oil on canvas
81 x 161.6 cm
Lear visited Palestine in 1858, and spent a fortnight making careful studies of Jerusalem from the surrounding hills. These formed the basis for five paintings, of which this is the largest and most magnificent. The view is dominated by the Temple Mount with the Dome of the Rock, and the Mount of Olives to the left.