Oxford's Weekend Starts Here...
Free Admission, All Welcome!
On the last Friday of each month, the Museum will open its doors from 7.00 – 10.30 pm, giving visitors the opportunity to see the collections and major exhibitions after hours. Interactive events including theatrical performances, creative workshops and lively talks will be on offer, with drinks and dinner in the rooftop Dining Room on Level 4 and a bar in the vaulted Café on the Lower Ground Level.
The Art of Theatre
In collaboration with Oxford University Dramatic Society
Friday 25th October
7.00 – 10.30pm
As students return to Oxford for another year, the Ashmolean LiveFriday is excited to present The Art of Theatre in collaboration with the Oxford University Dramatic Society. The night will be a celebration of the worlds of art and theatre with live music, set design and puppetry workshops alongside the inaugural showing of innovatively staged new plays. Live music performances include extracts from popular musicals as well as an oratorio performed by The Elia Ensemble.
Confirmed contributions include:
- short plays by young writers including several from the Royal Court Young Writers Programme
- an audio play performed on individual headphones
- scenes from the musical The Producers
- Handel’s opera The Choice of Hercules performed by the Elia Ensemble
- funk band the Donut Kings
- The Paper Cinema perform a unique blend of live animation and music
- The Oxford Imps perform live improvised comedy
- a creative butterfly puppet workshop
- a costume and set design workshop by Anna Lewis
- talks by leading experts
- tour guides creatively illuminating items which have a connection with the theatre
- a dress-up photo-booth