The Museum's Photographic Service undertakes photography of objects and pictures from the Museum's collections and supplies photographic prints or transparencies in accordance with a scale of charges and subject to regulations.
Follow the links below to download and view fee information:
Copyright use of text and image files
- The text and image files that the Ashmolean Museum has made available on this web server are intended to enhance public access to information about the Ashmolean Museum's collections.
- Unauthorized commercial use or publication of these documents and web pages is strictly prohibited
- Users may download these files for non-commercial, educational and personal use only, subject to any additional terms or restrictions that may be provided with an individual file.
- If you have any questions, please contact the Publications Department
- The Ashmolean Museum specifically retains any rights, including copyright, which it may have in data, image, text or any other information these files may contain.
While it is our intention to keep this information up-to-date and accurate, we cannot guarantee either. If errors are brought to our attention we will try to correct them as soon as possible.
Orders should clearly specify the format required (for example, type of image required, e.g. transparency, print, etc., colour or black and white, size of print, etc.) and give the fullest description possible for the identification of objects or pictures, including catalogue or accession numbers where appropriate.
Ownership of negatives and transparencies
Where a negative does not already exist, one will be prepared and charged for. Under no circumstances can negatives be supplied and in all cases negatives, transparencies and the copyright therein, remain the property of the Museum. Colour transparencies are hired for a basic three-month period - failure to return by the due date will result in the charge of an excess fee.
On receipt of your order a pro-forma invoice will be issued. Please quote this invoice number at all times and in all correspondence. Failure to do so may result in considerable delay.
All orders must be prepaid - most expediently by credit card, but we also accept cheques and bank transfers. Please allow up to 28 days after payment for completion of order.
Photography in the galleries
Photography is allowed in the galleries; however flash photography is not permitted in the Sands Gallery. The use of video cameras and camcorders is prohibited without prior written authority. Photographs of most objects in the Museum may be ordered from the Publications Department.
All communications in connection with orders should be addressed to:
The Publications Department (Photographic Services)
Telephone: +44 (0)1865 278105
Fax: +44 (0)1865 278106