Conservation & Collection Care
The Conservation team analyses, preserves, and treats the collections in its care (approximately 700,000 objects) according to the highest standards of contemporary conservation science and ethics.
There is particular emphasis on preventive conservation and an ongoing programme of environmental improvement throughout the Museum.
Our conservators balance this work with object and collections-led research, the supervision of graduate students, and the preparation of objects for exhibitions in the Ashmolean and around the world.
You can help
Your gift to conservation could help in the following ways:
- £12 buys a solvent dispenser
- £100 purchases 10 sheets of mount board for displaying works on paper
- £150 equips the galleries and stores with insect traps for one year
- £350 supplies a monitor to measure temperature and humidity in a display case
- £800 conserves one painting
- £2,700 employs a conservator for one month
- £5,000 maintains and services all the humidifiers in the Museum for one year to keep a stable environment in the galleries and stores
- £7,000 purchases a high quality microscope