Her Majesty The Queen officially opens the new Ashmolean Museum
On Wednesday, 2 December 2009, Her Majesty The Queen officially opened the new Ashmolean Museum. Follow this link to view a gallery of images.
Video of the visit taken by the University's Media Unit can be seen by following this link.
Celebrating the New Ashmolean
The Ashmolean Transformed
Listen to the BBC Oxford Ashmolean series
To hear interviews with some of the people behind the scenes at the Ashmolean Museum click on the links below:
- Rick Mather, Architect: Part 1; Part 2
- Anthony Nagle, Construction Manager for BAM: Part 1; Part 2
- Clare Pollard, Curator of Japanese Art at the Ashmolean: Part 1; Part 2
- Edith Prak, Deputy Director of Development & Outreach at the Ashmolean: Part 1; Part 2
- Jo Rice, Head of Education at the Ashmolean: Part 1; Part 2
Press Coverage of the new Ashmolean
- 2009-10-27 : The Guardian G2, Jonathan Glancey
- "It is Britain's oldest public museum - and it's just had a thrilling revamp. Jonathan Glancey gets a sneak preview of the all-new Ashmolean"
- 2009-10-29 : Channel 4 News, Ashmolean reopens after £61m revamp
- Britain's finest university museum reopens in Oxford with an exhibition celebrating the connections between the world's most diverse cultures.
- 2009-10-29 : The Financial Times, Peter Aspden
- Treasure trove: Britain's oldest museum revamped
- 2009-10-29 : The Times, Jack Malvern
- Lawrence's splendid robes are given a chance to command fresh respect
- 2009-10-29 : The Times, Rachel Campbell-Johnston
- A round-the-world ticket for a clear and concise history tour
- 2009-10-29 : The Daily Telegraph, Stephen Adams
- "Visitor 'fatigue' is history as oldest museum gets revamped”
- 2009-10-29 : The Oxford Times, Reg Little
- Preparing to share its treasures again
- 2009-10-29 : The Independent, Jay Merrick
- "The Ashmolean in Oxford, the world's first public museum, has had a £61m makeover. It's a brave mix of ancient and modern"
- 2009-10-30 : The Wall Street Journal, Paul Levy
- A new look for Auntie Ashmolean
- 2009-10-31 : The Telegraph, Christopher Howse
- "The Ashmolean in Oxford, the world's oldest museum, is set to reopen after a major revamp"
- 2009-11-01 : The Observer, Stephen Bayley
- A phoenix rizes from the Ashmolean "Oxford's forbidding museum was almost as dead as the dodo it once housed. Enter Rick Mather…"
- 2009-11-01 : The Sunday Times – Culture, Hugh Pearman
- First class from Oxford "The Ashmolean, Britain's oldest museum, has surfaced revitalised after a £61m expansion"
- 2009-11-01: Apollo, The Ashmolean Transformed
- On 7 November the Ashmolean Museum in Oxford unveils its new building.
- 2009-11-06 : The Financial Times, Robin Blake
- The world in a new light
- 2009-11-07 : BBC News, Ashmolean Museum opens to public
- The UK's oldest public museum has reopened after a £61m redevelopment.
- 2009-11-14 : The Spectator, James Hamilton, Present, conserve, explain
- Philip Pullman was right to claim that the redeveloped Ashmolean Museum of Art and Archaeology at Oxford is 'magnificent'. The redevelopment project creates a 'triumphant reinvention' of the museum, with the addition of 39 new galleries and a radical alteration of the site.
- 2009-11-26: Dezeen Design Magazine , Ashmolean Museum by Rick Mather Architects
- November 26th, 2009 Rick Mather Architects of London have completed an extension to the Ashmolean Museum of Art and Archaeology at Oxford University
- 2009-11-26: Time Out , A museum worth travelling to see
- Oxford's Ashmolean Museum recently underwent a £61m redevelopment project, which saw the creation of 39 new galleries and doubled the exhibition space at the site. The result is a museum that any city would be proud of.
- 2009-11-27: The Japan Times Online, Bringing Japan to Britain
- When she looked at the floor plans for Oxford's redesigned Ashmolean Museum and saw that her two Japanese galleries formed an L-shape in one corner ...Britain When she looked at the floor plans for Oxford's redesigned Ashmolean Museum and saw that her two Japanese galleries formed an L-shape...
- 2009-11-28: The Independent, Ashmolean Dining Room, Beaumont Street, Oxford
- Lofty ambitions ...skyline, in a dazzling glass box of a restaurant on top of the remodelled Ashmolean Museum. The room is packed, at 12.30 on a Friday lunchtime ,
- 2009-11-30: LA Times, The 'new' Ashmolean
- After a $100-million renovation, Britain's oldest public museum reopened earlier this month as a bright, airy, modern institution with twice the display space and a design that has drawn near-unanimous acclaim for its marriage of old and new.
- 2009-12-03: Oxford Times, Most majestic occasion (part 1)
- Report on the Queen’s visit to Oxford yesterday, when she officially opened the Ashmolean Museum following its £61m redevelopment, before visiting Brasenose College, marking the college’s 500th anniversary.
- 2009-12-03: Oxford Times, Most majestic occasion (part 2)
- 2009-12-17: London Review of Books , At the Ashmolean
- Peter Campbell reviews the redeveloped Ashmolean Museum, which he describes as ‘a wonderful thing’
- 2009-12-17: Oxford Times , This is my kind of place
- Review of the Ashmolean Dining Room
- 2009-12-18: Jewish Chronicle , There's much more to Oxford than Morse
- A travel guide to Oxford notes that the recent re-development of the University's Ashmolean Museum has turned it into the ‘best showcase the nation has of the world's most important civilisations’ The Bodleian Library is described as ‘splendid’ and its current exhibition is recommended.
- 2009-12-20: The Sunday Telegraph , That rare thing
- A review of the Ashmolean Museum's rooftop restaurant.