Delftware pottery and tiles were in great demand during the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries. The term’ delftware’ is generally used to indicate earthenware pottery covered with an opaque white tin glaze on which decoration has been painted in blue or other colours. The term is derived from the town of Delft in the Netherlands where from the seventeenth century many potteries produced hand-painted tin-glazed pottery of high quality which was exported all over the world. This tile was probably made in either Bristol or Liverpool, both of which were centres of English delftware making.
Tile with ships and swans on the sea (c. 1750 – 1760)
Earthenware tin-glazed (delftware)