Key Stage 3 to Post-16
Photo by Greg Smolonski
'I wish we could have our art lessons here every week – there’s so much stuff!' Yr 12 art student
- Investigate objects from west to east: ancient to modern.
- Discover an inspiring learning environment.
- Work with creative, supportive and knowledgeable Ashmolean education staff.
- Pre-visit planning sessions for teachers inc exhibition previews
- Training days and INSET on themes including:
- Learning from objects
- Using museum collections to teach RE
- Using the Ashmolean collections for Art & Design
- Using tablets to support a museum Art & Design visit
Art & Design Key Stage 3 - 5
- Sketchbook introductions to your theme
- Bespoke workshops for GCSE, AS and A Level Art & Design
- Arts Award projects
To find out more download The Art Teachers Newsletter Autumn 2014.
Other subject areas at Key Stage 3-5
- Greek myths
- Science of Conservation
- Exploring World Religions
- Learning from objects (designed for University access groups)
- Arts Award projects
- Gallery talks and Study Room visits for post-16 groups
- Cross curricular days for large groups combining a visit to the Ashmolean with a trip to other Oxford University museums
To find out more download our Schools programme: Key Stage 3 to Post 16 2013-14.
Special educational needs
We are delighted to welcome and support children with different learning needs to the Ashmolean. We can:
- Design and deliver bespoke visits for groups of students from special schools
- Adapt sessions for students with different learning needs visiting as part of a mainstream class visit e.g. producing raised images and additional handling material for children with visual impairment and adapting tours for children with hearing impairments
- Design bespoke visits for children who are part of the Gifted and talented programme
- Deliver outreach sessions to children who can’t get to the Museum e.g. special schools and the hospital schools
Contact for Art & Design programmes:
Adrian Brooks, Art Education Officer, Oxford University Museums
T: 01865 282456
Contacts for all other secondary & post-16 programmes:
Jo Rice, Head of Education
T: 01865 288181
Helen Ward, Deputy Head of Education
T: 01865 288079
Please note that advance booking is essential for all school and college visits, even for self-conducted visits. We do book up quickly, so recommend that you book as far in advance as possible to avoid disappointment. For more information, please visit how to book: schools
Visit our learning resources database for free downloadable resources to support pre and post visit work in school.