The Ashmolean is the University of Oxford’s museum of art and archaeology, founded in 1683. Our world famous collections range from Egyptian mummies to contemporary art, telling human stories across cultures and across time.
As a world-class museum and cultural destination we will broaden our reach, welcome everyone and offer experiences which are innovative, inspiring and relevant. We will preserve, enhance and share our collections and knowledge to promote research, learning and enjoyment, to enrich lives and expand our understanding of the world and our shared humanity.
To achieve our vision we will:
- Ensure the expertise, skills and resources are available to develop, improve and care for our extraordinarily rich collections.
- Work to increase knowledge and understanding, by delivering, encouraging and enabling world-class research and teaching.
- Widen our reach, grow our reputation and build awareness of the Ashmolean name and brand, while also promoting the University of Oxford.
- Focus on improving inclusion and equity across all areas of the Ashmolean organisation and activity.
- Broaden our local, national and international audiences, focusing on engaging diverse local communities and welcoming them to connect with the University of Oxford.
- Make our collections more accessible, engaging and relevant to people’s lives both in the museum and online. Share human stories across cultures and time.
- Be brave and innovative. Proud of our heritage, but always looking forward
The Ashmolean is the University of Oxford’s museum of art and archaeology and is one of four University museums (along with the Museum of the History of Science, the Oxford University Museum of Natural History and the Pitt Rivers Museum). The four museums form part of the University's GLAM (Gardens, Libraries and Museums) group, together with the Bodleian Libraries and Botanic Gardens and Harcourt Arboretum.
- Ashmolean Endowment Fund
- Oxford GLAM Strategic Plan 2020-23
- Oxford GLAM Digital Strategy
- Oxford University Strategic Plan 2018-23
- Ashmolean For All Blog
The Ashmolean Museum is overseen by a Board of Visitors, Director Xa Sturgis, and a Senior Management Team.