Painted by Sir Edward Coley Burne-Jones (1833-1898)
Oil on canvas
This picture was painted in 1877 for Burne-Jonesís principal patron, William Graham, a wealthy India merchant and Liberal MP for Glasgow, who eventually owned nearly forty works by his favourite artist. It exemplifies Burne-Jonesís interest in the Aesthetic style, preferring formal values over narrative interest. The intensely Italianete nature of Music is highly characteristic of Burne-Jonesís work at this period: he had made several visits to Italy in the early 1870s, and the composition evokes his admiration for the Italian Old Masters and the landscape that inspired them.
Powered by Zoomify