Piazza del Popolo
Painted in studio of Giovanni Paolo Panini (1691 - 1765); oil on canvas, 97 x 133 cm
This scene shows the Piazza del Popolo, the northern gateway to Rome for pilgrims or grand tourists. This was a popular subject for ‘view-painting’ in the 17th and 18th centuries. Many famous buildings can be seen in the painting. The twin churches of S. Maria di Montesanto on the left and S. Maria dei Miracoli take centre stage. The dome of the Pantheon and the arcaded tower of the Palazzo Palma can be seen in the distance to the right.