Photograph of ET Leeds
Archives and Artefacts
Photograph of ET Leeds beside a trench
Exploring the Past through the Work of E.T. Leeds and A2A



In 1820, the Anglo-Saxon cemetery at Brighthampton was first revealed through skeletons uncovered by ploughing. Digging in the area in subsequent years revealed further burials.

Click to see a larger image
Record sheet of burial 22 from Brighthampton compiled by E.T. Leeds
(Click on the image to see a larger version)

J.Y. Akerman excavated the cemetery in 1857-58 finding a further fifty-four inhumations and ten cremation burials. Many of these burials contained grave-goods, including several inhumations with eleborate swords, a number of highly decorated gilt brooches, as well as knives, beads, buckets, shield bosses and spearheads. Many of the finds from this excavation are now held in the Ashmolean Museum.

Square headed brooch (AN1966.121)
Sword chape (AN1966.81)
Gilt square-headed brooch (AN1966.121) and decorated sword chape (AN1966.81) from graves at Brighthampton

Further burials have continued to be found since this excavation. The largest discovery comprising of six complete skeletons discovered in 1892 at Malt House Farm.

The finds from this cemetery suggest it was in use from the mid-fifth to later sixth centuries.


A. MacGregor and E. Bolick (1993) Summary Catalogue of the Anglo-Saxon Collections (Non- Ferrous Metals), BAR British Series 230.

© Copyright University of Oxford, Ashmolean Museum, 2005. Last updated: 22-December-2005  About this Website
Oxfordshire County Council Logo
Heritage Lottery Fund Logo
A2A logo
Ashmolean Museum Icon