Photograph of ET Leeds
Archives and Artefacts
Photograph of ET Leeds beside a trench
Exploring the Past through the Work of E.T. Leeds and A2A
|
|
|
|
|
|

ANGLO-SAXON OXFORDSHIRE

ANGLO-SAXON BURIALS AT SOULDERN

Sometime prior to 1840 a single skeleton was discovered at Souldern. In that year a number of further burials were found, however no records of these have survived.

In 1844 a further skeleton was found in a garden at Souldern, followed by the discovery of an urn nearby containing bones. Two further vessels were later found both containing bones, one of which was an infant. On examination these burials were found to date to the fifth or sixth centuries.

Decorated bucket (AN1927.4617)
Decorated bucket (AN1927.4617)

The Ashmolean Museum now holds a decorated bucket which was found at this site in 1845. The bucket was part of the Sir Henry Dryden collection before being acquired by S.G. Fenton and eventually purchased by the Museum at Sotherby's in 1927.

REFERENCES:

A. MacGregor and E. Bolick (1993) Summary Catalogue of the Anglo-Saxon Collections (Non- Ferrous Metals), BAR British Series 230.

Copyright University of Oxford, Ashmolean Museum, 2005. Last updated:  About this Website
Oxfordshire County Council Logo
 
Heritage Lottery Fund Logo
A2A logo
Ashmolean Museum Icon