Photograph of ET Leeds
Archives and Artefacts
Photograph of ET Leeds beside a trench
Exploring the Past through the Work of E.T. Leeds and A2A
|
|
|
|
|
|

ANGLO-SAXON OXFORDSHIRE

THE ANGLO-SAXON CEMETERY AT STANTON HARCOURT

In 1858 J.Y. Akerman uncovered an Anglo-Saxon cemetery at Stanton Harcourt. However it was not until 1940 that twenty-three burials were discovered during excavations prior to quarrying near a Bronze Age barrow (for details of Bronze Age finds see below).

Click to see a larger image
Written description of the Bronze Age barrow burial written by E.T. Leeds
(Click on image to see a larger version)

Twenty-two of these burials were located in one area, whilst the other was outside the barrow. The graves consisted of six adults, five children and twelve infants. However there were few with grave-goods. The few objects that were recovered appear to date from the seventh century. A number of these objects are held in the Ashmolean Museum.

Copper alloy pin (AN1940.184)
Silver pin (AN1940.187)
Copper alloy pin with perforated circular head (AN1940.184) from childs grave (grave no 2)- left - and silver pin (AN1940 187) from a female grave with no other grave goods (grave no. 12) - right.

REFERENCES:

W.F. Grimes (1943-44) "Excavations at Stanton Harcourt, Oxon., 1940", Oxoniensia 8-9, p19-63.

D.B. Harden and R.C. Treweeks (1945) "Excavations at Stanton Harcourt, Oxon., 1940, II", Oxoniensia 10, p16-41.

A. MacGregor and E. Bolick (1993) Summary Catalogue of the Anglo-Saxon Collections (Non- Ferrous Metals), BAR British Series 230.

Copyright University of Oxford, Ashmolean Museum, 2005. Last updated:  About this Website
Oxfordshire County Council Logo
 
Heritage Lottery Fund Logo
A2A logo
Ashmolean Museum Icon