Photograph of ET Leeds
Archives and Artefacts
Photograph of ET Leeds beside a trench
Exploring the Past through the Work of E.T. Leeds and A2A
|
|
|
|
|
|

ANGLO-SAXON OXFORDSHIRE

ANGLO-SAXON FINDS FROM WOODEATON

A large Romano-Celtic temple site was excavated during the nineteenth and twentieth centuries at Middle Hill in Woodeaton. A sixth-century pendant from this site is now held by the Ashmolean Museum. However the reasons for the presence of this Anglo-Saxon object at a Romano-Celtic site remain unclear.

REFERENCES:

J.R. Kirk (1949) "Bronzes from Woodeaton, Oxon", Oxoniensia 14, p1-45.

A. MacGregor and E. Bolick (1993) Summary Catalogue of the Anglo-Saxon Collections (Non- Ferrous Metals), BAR British Series 230.

Copyright University of Oxford, Ashmolean Museum, 2005. Last updated:  About this Website
Oxfordshire County Council Logo
 
Heritage Lottery Fund Logo
A2A logo
Ashmolean Museum Icon