Origin: Possibly provincial
Date: c. 1750-1760
9.2 cm length; 63 g weight
Heraldry: Williams of Burfield, Berkshire, and Thame, Oxfordshire
Lent by the University; LI 1043.3
T. Schroder (2009), no. 414
Silver badges, emblematic tokens designed to be worn about the person, date back to at least the Middle Ages and intended to denote membership, rank or service. This badge is for Lord Williams's (d. 1579) almshouses in Thame, Oxfordshire. During Lord Williams's ownership it housed five poor men and one woman and under the original statutes of 1575 the garments of the paupers should be 'emblazoned with the military arms of that venerable gentleman Lord John Williams'. The ownership of the almshouses was passed to the Warden and Scholars of New College, Oxford on Williams's death and continued in use until 1874.
Information derived from T. Schroder, British and Continental Gold and Silver in the Ashmolean (2009)