Browse the Silver Collection
591 of 620
Pair of covered cups and stands
12.7 cm diameter of stands; Cups: 290 g weight and 299 g: stands each 178 g weight
Marks/Maker: Maker's mark only IC, crown above, mullets to each side, crescent below, probably for Jean Chartier
Provenance: (By family tradition) John, 1st Baron Crewe (d. 1839); by descent to Mrs David Bowes-Lyon; sale, Sotheby's, 24 October 1989, lot 521; the Whiteley Trust
Presented by Mrs Diane Bacon and Mrs Helen Smyth in memory of their grandfather A. H. Whiteley, 2001; WA2001.48
T. Schroder (2009), no. 66
These cups belong to set of six, which remained together until their sale in 1989 (see Provenance) and the others of which are now divided between the Victoria and Albert Museum and the Nelson-Atkins Museum, Kansas City.
The sets distinctive character places them in a corpus of about 25 objects (or sets) dating from between 1688 and 1700 and which bear the marks of Pierre Harache, David Willaume and three other makers, FSS, TT and IC. The most probable candidate for IC, the mark on these cups, is Jean Chartier of Blois, father of John Chartier, both of whom arrived in England in about 1688. All of these works have a cohesive character that suggests their makers were of Huguenot origin and working in cooperation.
Information derived from T. Schroder, British and Continental Gold and Silver in the Ashmolean (2009)