Browse the Finger Ring Collection
22 of 436
1st to 3rd century A.D.
Gold ring, thick facetted hoop engraved with APRI
11 mm internal ring diameter; 7.1 g weight
Presented by Dr C.D.E. Fortnum in honour of Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee, 1897; ANFortnumFR.771
Apri was a colony founded under Emperor Claudius (10 B.C. - 54 A.D.) near the Sea of Marmara in Thrace (the Balkans).
The size of the ring could also imply that it was worn on an upper joint of an adult finger, as was fashionable in Roman times.
Taylor & Scarisbrick, Finger Rings from Ancient Egypt to the present day, 1978, no. 174