Jug with unidentified arms
Firenze (Florence) , c. 1520 - 1550
48.7 cm (diameter)
tin-glazed earthenware (maiolica)
The sides of the jug are decorated with blue and manganese flower and tendril ornament in what was at the time described as alla porcellana (in the manner of Oriental porcelain). The ribbon-work in white around the shield has been scratched out of the blue with a pointed tool.
Bibliography: F. Berti, Storia della Ceramica di Montelupo (Montelupo 1997-2003), V, p. 134, no. 9, and p. 151, no. 59, suggests the arms could be Baroncelli, Obizi, or Scolari of Florence.
Bequeathed by C. D. E. Fortnum, 1899. WA1888.CDEF.C405
Click to hide image