Faenza, c. 1525 - 1535
tin-glazed earthenware (maiolica)
The bowl is covered front and back with a greyish-blue (berettino) glaze, painted in shades of blue and white with the addition of yellow and green in the centre; the border painted with typical Faenza dolphin- and plant-scrolls with winged cherubs on a dark blue ground; on the side, fern motifs in white; in the centre a shield of arms or on a bend azure, three stars or, a chief argent. The reverse is painted with the pallone mark, possibly for the Bergantini workshop, rays and four simple flowers.
The bowl is broken into several pieces with old rivet repairs.
Lent from the Barlow Collection. LI206.4