Browse the Timepieces Collection
47 of 324
Hans Reinholdt (b.1587)
Gilt-brass cased monstrance clock-watch with calendar
Movement: Hanns, Reinholdt, Augs, Purg, c. 1630
case; gilt-brass, silver miniature altar; enamel
210 mm plus 8.4mm for base-detachable alter height base (hexagonal) 71.2 x 73.7 x 74.6 mm undefined
Case: Gilt-brass case with a hexagonal moulded base supporting a gilt brass framework of scrolls and grotesques around a central caryatid half-figure. Mounted on the figure, the watch case is flanked by further grotesques and pearled scrolls and surmounted by a day-of-the-week drum and a vase finial. The octagonal gilt-brass watch case has hinged front and back bezels, the latter a simple moulded frame with glazed centre. The deep front bezel, pierced and engraved with foliate scrolls and two reclining half-figures has the movement pinned to its back. The facets of the case band are also pierced with foliate scrolls and flowers. The bell is mounted on the front of the movement, under the dial. The very bottom of the base takes the form of a detachable miniature altar (displayed separately to the right) with hinged doors, pricked on inside with depictions of crucified thieves. A third door hinged upwards has an orb and cross finial and is pricked with the ascending figure of Christ. The fourth door, hinged downwards, has depictions of soldiers at the empty tomb (two parts of The Restoration of Christ); in centre a shaped enamelled panel shows The Crucifixion between the Virgin and St John in a mixture of basse-taille and relief. Dial: Gilt-brass and silver dial with an outer silver ring engraved with the months in Latin, each with its number of days, indicating against a fixed pointer. The gilt-brass chapter ring is engraved I-XII for the hours and has trefoil half-hour marks. The central silver disc is engraved with flowers, formerly enamelled and around the outside is calibrated 1-31 for the date. There are two hands, one for hours and one for the date. There is also a revolving silver drum at the top of the clock with depictions of the planetary signs for the days of the week.. Movement: Circular gilt-brass plates with four baluster pillars pinned to the front plate. An extra lenticular shaped plate is screwed to the back plate at the top, the purpose of which is unclear. The gilt-brass barrel for the going train has ratchet and click set-up mounted on the back plate. Fusee originally cut for chain but now with gut line. Three wheel train of gilt-brass wheels. Verge escapement, the crown wheel running between screwed-on potences. The original dumb-bell balance and balance cock have been replaced by a poorly made plain brass balance cock with a screwed-on steel coqueret, beneath which is a semi-circular single-arm balance with arrow head shaped ends at the ends of the balance arms and a large counter-poise in the middle. The watch was originally furnished with a hog's bristle regulator - the engraved scale of dots on the back plate remains. Count-wheel controlled striking for hours only, driven by a fixed gilt-brass barrel with engraved decoration on the visible side. Five wheel train of gilt-brass wheels, the last a large diameter roller. The count-wheel, mounted on the back plate, is pierced and engraved with foliage. The fusee does not occupy the full length of the great wheel arbor in the usual way. About one third of the arbor is taken up by a large-diameter worm gear which formerly drove the day-of-the-week drum at the top. The wheel work for the drive is, however, now missing. The movement is signed:- Hanns Reinholdt Augs Purg Johannes Reinhold the younger was born in 1587, the son of Johannes Reinhold the elder and Anna Aspegeri. He became a kleinuhrmacher in the Augsburg guild in 1619 and married Regina Belcher the same year. He died shortly before 1639. Literature: Klaus Maurice, Die Deutsche Räderuhr,1976, Vol.II, pl.458. Maximilian Bobinger, Kunstuhrmacher in Alt-Augsburg, 1969, pl.15. Notes: 1. As with no.211 above, this is one of a series of monstrance watches made in Augsburg in the first half of the 17th century. The inclusion of a detachable miniature altar as part of the base might, however, be considered unusual as indeed it is. There is nevertheless a second example, a watch by Hans Christoph Kreitzer, now in the Hellmut-Kienzle- Uhrenmuseum, Schwenningen, illustrated in Klaus Maurice op.cit. pl.462, 2. The arrangement of the signature suggests that there was at some point a balance cock with a long foot which would account for the positioning of the words with a large space between them. 3. Part of the case appears to be missing. The hinge, which attaches the back bezel to the case has two unused elements. It is likely that these were taken by a separate inner cover of surround for the movement. The rear view of the watch, seen when the rear bezel is open presents a fairly unpleasing aspect to the watch, with a large gap between the movement and the bezel.
Bequeathed by J. Francis Mallett, 1947.