Marco Zoppo (1433 - 1478)
A98; tempera and gilding on panel; 49.5 x 31 cm
Presented by William Thomas Horner Fox-Strangways , later 4th Earl of Ilchester, 1850; WA1850.34
Lloyd 1977, pp. 191-3; Lucco 1993, pp. 109-14 & p. 173
After his training with Squarcione in Padua from 1453, Marco worked mainly for Venetian and Bolognese patrons. This shaped panel comes from the upper tier of a polyptych, probably that made in 1468 for the church of Santa Giustina, Venice. Three other panels have been identified, St Augustine, St Peterand St Jerome, all from the upper register and all lit from the right. St Paul is shown with a sword, the instrument of his martyrdom and a book, a reference to his Epistles.
Information derived from the The Ashmolean Museum Complete Illustrated Catalogue of Paintings.