Page 1079 of 1516

Post-Byzantine Artist (17th century):
Icon of The Virgin Blachernitissa

Oil on panel; 16.7 x 13 cm.

Prov: The Revd Greville John Chester.

Purchased, 1969; AN1869.14.

The Virgin Blachernitissa, sometimes also called Platytera, is so named because the iconographic type originated in the church of the Blachernai at Constantinople. She was portrayed in an orant posture, with a half-figure of the 'pre-eternal' Christ suspended in a medallion in front of her breast. The names of the figures are inscribed in Greek. The red background is characteristic of painting produced in the Near East, where this panel may have originated.

Order a Reproduction of this image.

Information derived from the Ashmolean Museum's Complete Illustrated Catalogue of Paintings.

xx