Painted by Walter Richard Sickert (1860-1942); oil on canvas, 124 x 101 cm
Sickert stayed with his friend Walter Taylor at Brighton in August and September 1915 where he had access to the pierrots on the Promenade. He told Ethel Sands that he went every night for five weeks to the Pierrot Theatre. He painted this painting on his return to London and sold it to Morton Sands. Sir William and Lady Jowett immediately commissioned a replica.