17 July 2020:
The Ashmolean is delighted to announce that it will reopen to the public on Monday 10 August 2020. Dr Xa Sturgis, Director of the Museum, says: ‘It is wonderful to be able to welcome people back - they have been sorely missed. Art needs an audience and at a time like this, we are all in need of the things museums offer us – enjoyment, reflection and escape. I cannot wait to open our big blue doors and see people coming in again.’
In addition to the permanent collections, people will be able to visit the critically acclaimed Young Rembrandt exhibition which, thanks to the generosity of the lenders, will be extended until November. The Museum will also show a new free exhibition, Scene Through Wood: a Century of Wood Engraving which includes 100 astonishing works by artists from the 19th century right up to the present.
Over the past few weeks, Ashmolean staff have worked tirelessly to adapt the Museum building and put in place measures to ensure people will have a safe and enjoyable visit. The Ashmolean has achieved the industry safety standard, ‘We’re Good to Go’, awarded by Visit England. Safety measures will include:
- Timed, ticketed entry and limited visitor numbers
- One-way routes
- Takeaway catering from the café and outside seating on the forecourt
- Card payments only in the shop and café
- All toilets and baby-changing rooms will be open
- Lifts will be single-occupancy (or single-household) only and will be reserved for people who need to use them for mobility
- Queuing systems will be in place to maintain social distancing
- Lockers and cloakrooms will remain temporarily closed, as will the rooftop restaurant
- Enhanced cleaning and hygiene including hand-sanitiser stations
- Staff will be wearing face-coverings and we will ask visitors who can to wear them too
- Events and tours are temporarily suspended for safety reasons
- Resources for self-guided visits will be available
Claire Parris, Press Officer, email@example.com, 07833 384 512
Sarah Holland, Press Assistant, firstname.lastname@example.org, 07714 435 868
The Ashmolean will reopen on Monday 10 August 2020 at 10am.
The Museum will then be open daily, 10am–5pm; extended opening hours to be announced online.
The Museum is closed 24, 25 and 26 December.
General admission remains free but advanced booking is essential. Visit www.ashmolean.org to find out when tickets are released.
Tickets for Young Rembrandt will be available online later in July and will include general admission to the Museum; prices £6.75-£16.00.
SAFETY AND HYGIENE
For further information about new safety, hygiene and social distancing measures please visit www.ashmolean.org